When you start up a new business a lot of time is spent on figuring out a name for your company. Another thing a lot of time is spent on is the logo. Should your logo be minimalistic, futuristic, maybe a funny picture of something related to your field of business, or should it just be your business name?
I believe that, just like me, you have seen a lot of different logos in your days. Some has caught your attention more than others, and you can probably recognize the major corporations’ logos.
However, logos can be tricky, and sometimes a logo has more to it than you realize at first sight. Here are 7 logos that have a “hidden message” in them.
1. Big Ten is an academic union founded in 1896. Up until 1990 only ten schools where members of the Big Ten, but in June they added Pennsylvania State University. Instead of changing their name to the Big Eleven or something like that, they added “11” to their logo. The “11” can be seen between the “G” and the “T.”
2. This is a logo you probably have seen numerous times before. It belongs to Amazon.com, one of the largest online stores. This logo doesn’t appear to be hiding much, but it does have a deeper message. The yellow swoosh looks like a smile. The reason to that is because Amazon.com wants to have the best customer satisfaction. The swoosh is also connecting the “A” and the “Z”, which is supposed to indicate they have anything from A to Z in their store.
3. This is, of course, the logo of FedEx, one of the largest shipping companies in the world. The logo has featured in many movies and TV shows. The hidden meaning may not be all that hidden in this logo. If you look between the “E” and “X” you can see an arrow. This arrow represents speed and precision, which is two major selling points of the company.
4. Roxy is a brand that specializes in clothing for women/girls that are interested in surfing, snowboarding etc. The company is owned by Quicksilver and if you take a look at the Roxy logo you can actually see that it is made out of two Quicksilver logos put together to form a heart.
5. Toblerone is a chocolate company from Bern, Switzerland. Bern is often called the “City of Bears.” Toblerone decided to incorporate that in their logo. If you look closely at the mountain part of the logo you can see the silhouette of a bear.
6. The Milwaukee Brewers is a professional baseball team from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Their logo is made out of the letter “M” on top of the letter “B”. These two letters also happen to form a baseball glove.
7. The Hartford Whalers used to be a professional hockey team playing in the NHL. This logo uses the negative space to create the “H” for Hartford. You can also see the green “W”, as well as the blue whale’s tale in blue.
Logos can say a lot about a company and sometimes the easiest and most effective way is to just spell your company name out in a cool font, but sometimes (if you have the right creative people in your organization) a more thought thru logo can be just as effective if not more.